Recent Posts

Friday, August 17, 2012

I can't be the only one

I can't be the only one who feels this way.

That story I just wrote, the one I felt so awesome about. It was rejected. Form letter. Standard fare. This is the fifth time this particular market has sent that letter to me. I don't think me and that market get along. Or rather, I might not understand what they want. Standard fare. It reminds me of that scene from The Princess Bride, for some reason.

"Inconceivable!"

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Duh.

But, alas, you must move along, nothing to see here. I submitted the story again, somewhere else. Hope is the only universal liar who never loses his reputation for veracity.

I also wrote another shortie tonight. It's not fiction per se. It is what it is. I sent it off. I feel as though I shouldn't think very long on these things. Vomit them out and then put a bow on them and get them as far away from me as possible. That's the ticket. If this thing doesn't find a home I may just post it here. Maybe that's where I should have started.

I'm listening to Fleet Foxes. And then I will put on a few records and read about Marketing and Data Analysis, and I will sip a glass of red wine and I will have this serene, slightly bemused look on my face. There will be people who will stand at my window as I'm doing this and look in at me and be jealous as fuck. Their faces will be crimped in frustration. They'll say I wish I was in there by the fire (did I mention the fire?) and drinking that wine and reading those books and listening to those records. Is that Bookends? Is that CSN? Is that motherfucking Jimi Hendrix!? Where did this guy get such a wondrous record collection? These jealous people will ask these things.

But don't worry. I am not a cruel. I will open my door and I will say peek not at the window, Thomases. Come in, eat a minced pie (did I mention the pies? God, did I mention the pies?), warm your feet. Take that sour look off your face, my new friends, there's plenty for all of us. Listening is free. Reading is free. Talking is free. Let's talk. Let's warm. Let's listen. It's better that way, than peeking at the window. Sit in the firelight. 

Do not stand in the shadows.

0 comments: