Recent Posts

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mergers and Acquisitions

Mergers

Moby Dick by Herman Melville - I have been trying to read this book for about a year but the rigidly Romantic prose and the overly long start kept me from getting too far, but about a month ago I decided to buckle down and finish the damn thing. I'm over 100 pages into the Dick and it's really starting to grow on me. It's florid, sure, and prone to bizarre flights of whimsy and academic naturalism, but there is a sense of foreboding and discomfort that is palpable and reading an author who immersed himself so intensely in his subject matter is instructive. I'll let you know how this goes.

Bon Iver, Bon Iver [+Digital Booklet]- Good Lord this dude is blowing my mind. My wifey decided to buy Bon Iver's newest record (self-titled) based on the recommendation of a friend, and from the first few bars of the first song I got the chills and knew that this record was going to latch onto my heart and shake me loose. It's gorgeous and billowing like a chilly Midwestern November wind, standing in the snow and looking through a frosted window at a warm fire and an empty room.

I liked Bon Iver so much that I immediately went out* and bought his first record, For Emma, Forever Ago, and haven't stopped listening to these two albums back to back to back for the last month and a half. They've so monumentally dug themselves into my consciousness that they have become my entire writing playlist, displacing almost everything else except Sigur Ros, choice Dylan, and The National. The long and short of it, buy both of these records. Now.

Mumford and Sons, Sigh No More - Poor Mumford and his poor, poor sons. If it wasn't for their broken-hearted soul-brother to the North, Bon Iver, this album would be the only thing I was raving about. Unfortunately Bon is too awesome to be second place, and so Mumford waits in the wings, perpetually the bridesmaid, never the bride. But this album is so great, from start to finish. I've heard this band labeled as freak folk and that tag suits me. It's like a mishmash of every folk genre, with a heavy dose of bluegrass and tied together with Irish punk vocals. It's a bizarre mix but it's earnest and cool and beautiful at all the right times.

1 comments:

Patrick said...

ditto on mumford and bon iver; you need to watch some justin vernon live videos on youtube too; like calgary on colbert, him covering bonnie raitt on piano; chills throughout.