Recent Posts

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Lament for Borders

I read this piece in the Wall Street Journal and while I no longer have the fight left to bemoan the euthanizing of the world's bookstores* I did feel a brief moment of heartbreak at the hometown connection in the story. Being a graduate of the University of Michigan I used this store often. It was a staple of my college experience, and, being a bibliophile, it had a certain special place in my heart. I don't know if Borders was a badly-run corporation or what, but they employed 5000 people in the town I grew to love and call my own and that is no small thing.

Godspeed Borders, and may that location at the corner of Liberty and Maynard stay classy.


*I'll say only this: I think we will see a resurgence in book-making in our lifetimes. The writing, making, distribution, selling, and reading of books has been the staple of human civilization for at least a millennium, and the willingness of our generation to so readily toss 3/5 of this equation out the window seems short-sighted and terribly arrogant. I think it will come back to bite us in the ass.

0 comments: