Recent Posts

Monday, March 7, 2011

Year of the Novel: Everybody's Working for the Weekend

This was the first difficult week of the YotN project. I managed to finish only 850 words. Ouch. This was partly due to the fact that I only managed to carve out a few hours to write because of my work schedule and sick children and various other distractions. It's also partly to do with the chapter I'm working on.

This is a keystone chapter, in which a lot of important information needs to be doled out, but it needs to be given in such a manner that I don't give away the whole farm. I need to tread lightly. I need to be coy. I don't do coy very well, so this chapter is taking me a little longer than normal. Also, the whole thing is told from the perspective of an angel, and I'm still having a little trouble resolving their relationship to Earth and God and all that. I can feel what it's like to be an angel when I close my eyes, but for some reason I'm having a tough time putting it into words satisfactorily right now.

In a version of this post I just removed about three seconds ago I told ya'll all about the cosmological workings of this novel, but then I re-read the post and got extraordinarily paranoid about saying so much when I have at least a year left before submitting this work to agents and publishers. Not that I don't trust you, but when you spend this much time on something you get a little paranoid about anything spoiling it. And the internet is just so vast.

So, let's just say that writing all this down really helped clear my mind and that I think it'll help with the writing of this chapter. Thanks for listening, even if you didn't really get a chance to...you know...actually listen.

2 comments:

Nicholas J. Carter said...

You'll get there. For what it's worth, I've abandoned the novel I began about three months ago. Too fast? Probably not fast enough. I think my standard fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants, never plan writing style just isn't going to work for a novel-length story.

Tres Crow said...

You know what, I write in a very similar way, which can often lead me into corners I don't know how to get out of. What I try to do is just keep writing and tell myself I can fix it in the next drafts.

How I like to think of it is that I have a skeleton, or certain guide posts I can visualize very strongly in my mind and the rest is stuff I need to fill in as I go. I would say I have about 35% of each story/novel/essay figured out before I sit down, the rest just comes naturally from the skeleton. It's literary forensics. Looking at the skeleton and trying to figure out what that person might look like.