Recent Posts

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mergers and Aquisitions

In these heady economic times, there are a great many changes occurring. No neighborhood is immune from the devastation. Mine is no different. Most of my neighborhood was built in the mid-1960's as a bedroom community for those who wanted to escape the hub bub and bustle of Atlanta. If most of those first time homebuyers were in their twenties, and the 1960's were almost fifty years ago, you can imagine what is happening to those first time homebuyers. They're dying. In droves. This is bad for them, but really good for me, because it means that basically every weekend there is a really kick ass estate sale. Estate sales usually mean a whole lot of interesting antiquey furniture, bad shoes and clothes, and books galore.

Judging from the books at the latest estate sales I've gone to I can make a few guesses about what this neighborhood must have been like in the 60's. Either it was the type of neighborhood where the parents got together and had key parties and got wasted on martinis and foreign beers and spent most of their adult lives having interesting convos about politics and race relations and stuff. It was like that, or it was the most boring place on Earth and their kids spent their teenage years reading awesome books to escape the boredom of their lives, and eventually left home never to return, leaving behind their awesome book cache.

I don't care which it was, just that I keep finding amazing deals on paperbacks at these things.

So, all of this is to basically segue into a new post series I'll do occasionally when I feel like it: Mergers and Aquisitions. By merger, I mean things that are knocking me out for whatever reason. I'm waaaaaay behind the times so it'll prolly be stuff that y'all thought was cool like back in tenth grade, and I'm just now getting around to. Aquisitions is all the stuff I pick up at these estate sales.

Mergers for the week of 3/13/2011:
Odessey and Oracle by The Zombies - Misopogon disagrees with me, but this is one of the coolest records to be released by any British Invasion band of the 60's. Other bands may have been better, but only a select few managed to get this many catchy, meticulously-crafted pop songs on one record. And to think, these guys broke up right after the record was released, never to reform, despite the record housing their biggest hit ever, "Time of the Season".

Fox on Tuesday nights and NBC on Thursdays - Between Glee, Raising Hope, and Traffic Light Fox pretty much has my undivided attention on Tuesdays (except for the incredible NBC vehicle Parenthood, which blessedly keeps me from having to watch Real Housewives of Douchebag County in real time). Thursdays belong to the greatest night of comedy ever. I truly believe the hyperbole to be necessary here. Community, Perfect Couples, The Office, Parks and Recreation, and 30 Rock (The only misstep is the clever-or-incredibly-racist Outsourced) makes for two and half hours of the best comedy television ever assembled. I literally groan out loud whenever there's a week of re-runs.

The last part of 2666 - After the waking nightmare of "The Part About The Crimes," "The Part About Archimboldi" is a blessed relief, and is strangely touching and pleasant despite the fact that it basically follows a kid in the Nazi army.

Aquisitions:
On Saturday I picked up all these books for $5. You read that right, $5.
Deliverance by James Dickey
Little Big Man by Thomas Berger
Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
Them (Modern Library) by Joyce Carol Oates
Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Atlas Shrugged by Rand Paul...oops, sorry, Ayn Rand
Light in August (The Corrected Text) by William Faulkner
Harry and the Terrible Whatzit by Dick Gackenbach (which looks like it'll terrorize my son's dreams the way Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series did mine. I can't wait.)

0 comments: