Recent Posts

Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Writing Links!

The New York Times has a good little essay about abandoned novels. Being an author who has an abandoned novel sitting on his hard drive shivering in the cold and wondering what it did wrong, I can fully understand the need to address this issue. The reason I abandoned my novel is simple, I'd spent waaaaaay too long on it, and it got shoved aside by a new, shinier novel which suited my 30-year-old self a whole lot better than the one I started when I was 25. Is that fair? Probably not, but in the cutthroat world of the Crow's brain, only the newest, sexiest ideas get through the door.

The New York Times also had a very small blurb about the need for the novella to stay sexy and interesting and not get a lot of attention so it can stay sexy and interesting. There's definitely something about this blurb that smacks of insider complaining, but I still found it interesting. You might too.

Obligatory DFW link: The New York Review has a cool article on the David Foster Wallace industry.

Also, the coolest thing ever! A hand-drawn poster detailing the history of Science Fiction from "Fear" and "Wonder" to modern Space Operas. Just awesome. (via Gerry Canavan)

0 comments: