Recent Posts

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Year of the Novel: Version Tucker.0

So, after all my harping about National Novel Writing Month I've decided to do my own NaNoWriMo, only mine is gonna be a National Novel Writing Year. I dunno if this makes me a hypocrite, but the new year, combined with turning 30, has brought up all sorts of pre-mid-life crisises for me, and I am now consumed with a desire to not let any day pass without doing something productive. I gave up on NaNoWriMo primarily because the novel I'm working on is a beast and there was absolutely no way I was going to get the darn thing done in a single month. A year, however, is another thing entirely.

Right now, the book is about 80K words and I estimate that I'm about 35-40% done with it, therefore I have about 160K words left to write. There are approx. 49 weeks left in 2011, so I would have to write about 3300 words per week to finish this novel by the end of the year. I now blessedly work a schedule that allows me more time to write, in the mornings before work, so I estimate I could write on average 4 mornings a week. That makes 850 words every morning that need to come out of my brain and into my word document in order for The Greatest Show On Earth* to be completed in the year of Our Lord 2011.

That is very doable.

So join me people as I start this long and winding journey of finishing my first 700 page novel**. I'll update ya' when I feel like it.


*This is the title of it. Maybe someday I'll explain the meaning. Yes, there was a movie by the same title. I realize this. The titular similarity is intentional. There are a whole lot of circus references in this thing.
**I think that is how many pages 240K words is approx.

2 comments:

Jason Jordan said...

Glad to hear you're making progress. Keep it up!

Tres Crow said...

Thanks, bro. Progress is both fast and slow at the same time, like walking toward a mountain across a vast plain. You know you've gone a long way, but the mountain doesn't seem to have moved any closer, and the plain is just as vast as it was the last time you looked up. But at least it's fun. As of right now I've got two more days in this week and I'm already reached my weekly total. So. that's good.