Recent Posts

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Great Books

Roger Cohen of the New York Times recently wrote about Hans Fallada's Every Man Dies Alone, which has only just now been released in the United States, nearly 60 years after its initial release in Germany. The novel follows a German couple during World War II as they wage a secret, and admittedly small, offensive against the Third Reich. Largely based on real events, Cohen contends that Fallada's novel is gut-wrenching in its depiction of the small evils that made up the larger horror of Nazi Germany. The book has mos' def' made it on my short list of fiction I need to read.

An interesting sidenote is that the title of Mr. Cohen's editorial is "The Banality of Good" which is a reference to Hannah Arendt's controversial book Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil, about the Eichmann trial. Right now I'm reading Arendt's book On Violence so it gave me an extra kick when I recognized the reference.

You can check out the article here.

And you can purchase Every Man Dies Alone here.

2 comments:

The McCorveys said...

I'm adding the book to my list too! Thanks Tres!

Tres Crow said...

No prob. How's the Frozen North?