Recent Posts

Thursday, May 6, 2010

God willing and the creeks don’t rise

As I sat watching the news as the flood waters in Nashville kept rising and rising, I was filled with this queasy sense of unreality. In the last decade I've witnessed* several natural and manmade disasters. In fact, currently there is that massive oil spill in the Gulf and the miners who died in the mine explosions in Kentucky and West Virginia. But there was something wholly different about the flood in Nashville, because here were images of disaster, set against a backdrop that was intimately familiar to me. I lived in Nashville for three years and walked those streets, and played in those venues, and drank pints in those bars. My sister and many of my friends still live there, and though fortunately none of them were hurt (or even really directly effected), it has been uniquely difficult to watch as the city, where I met my wife, and wrote my first novel, and where my hopes of musical super-stardom imploded, buried under the surging waters of the Cumberland.

My heart goes out to all those people effected by the flood, whether I know them or not, and as combative as my relationship with Music City has been through the years, I hope deeply that Nashville finds a way to recover. There is a spirit there found nowhere else, and it would be a travesty if it was lost.

For more information you can check out the Tennessean here.

Also, here's an article about the rich people that were effected by the storm from Entertainment Weekly.

Ann Pratchett of the New York Times wrote an amazing piece about the flood here.

And finally here is a link to the Great American Country blog, which has links to multiple places you can donate to help victims of the flood.


*By witness I, of course, mean "saw on TV."

0 comments: