Recent Posts

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Way It Is

This song was on Greenland's one and only EP, which was released in 2007. Michael Green and Matt Goetz then went and worked their little tails off on a stop-motion video using about 50+ toys and taking hours upon hours. That video managed to win the Best Song category on the Youtube Underground contest and has, to this point, been viewed by half a million people worldwide. You can view the video here.

That much you may know already, but here's a little more: this song comes from the mid-point in Greenland's short, but intense career. Forming Greenland really helped start to pull me out of the depressive tailspin I was in upon moving to Nashville (the eventual completion of which happened after I met my future wife), and so after playing with the guys for almost six months I finally started to feel like I belonged somewhere in this new city. We'd played a few well-received shows; we were making music we cared about and made us happy; and I was getting invited to some parties finally, so I wasn't spending every weekend sitting on my hands. So, with a sense of belonging out of the way, I trained my sights on women, all the while maintaining my usual sense of melancholy and despair about the whole thing.

I hate to say it but this song is really nothing more than a "boy wants girl, boy doesn't think he can get girl, boy doesn't even try, boy mopes about it" sort of song, and this song, along with a few others I will post in the near future, all have to do with one "lucky" girl, whose relationship with me was neither as dramatic nor as traumatic as these songs suggest (...more on all this later, perhaps).

But, as I mentioned above, "The Way It Is" has enjoyed greater success than any song I've ever written, and, largely due to the amazing video Matt and Michael made, and the crafty little arrangement we Greenlanders cooked up, it remains one of my favorites.

***An interesting side note about this song is that it is the only Greenland song (and Tres Crow song, in general) which was a collaborative lyrical endeavor. The last pre-chorus (in red) was actually written by Evan. A minor detail, which made a great deal of difference.


The Way It Is
By Greenland
Words by Tres Crow and Evan James
Music by Evan James, Tres Crow, Matt Goetz, Patrick Rickelton, Michael Green


Old enough to feel it
growing in my chest like fire.
Sit there with your legs crossed
catch me with your head toss
I'm a liar

I never understood
why I have always backed down.
When everything I've ever wanted
was placed right in front of my face

People never change their ways
that's the way it is
that's the way it is
that's the way it is

Old enough to feel it
growing without water or cause
I want her oh so badly
she knows just how badly
but I still pause.

I never understood
why I have always backed down.
When everything I've ever wanted
was placed right in front of my face

People never change their ways
that's the way it is
that's the way it is
that's the way it is

Sinking in the ground
and all I wanna do is shout.
Everything I've ever wanted to say
always gets in my way.

People never change their ways
that's the way it is
that's the way it is
that's the way it is

Lyrics reprinted by permission of Shire Reckoning Publishing House.

2 comments:

Kb_Mal said...

Good stuff! I have fond memories of coming to see Greenland at The Earl!

The Crow said...

Yeah, that was a fun show.