Recent Posts

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Loneliest Year

This is another of those sad-just-moved-to-Nashville songs which I wrote so many of in the first few months of my diaspora. While I've never been all that fond of the lyrics, I do think there is a quaint, almost child-like quality to them, which I have never employed since. Their earnestness and sincerity sort of shocks me all these years later, but the truth is I meant these words when I wrote them down even if they really aren't fair to the people I refer to, and even if the sentiment of meeting a woman "down by the river" who saves your life is a little on the naive side.

The curious thing, though? I actually met my wife four months later in a bar only a few blocks from the Cumberland River. And she saved my life. How cute, eh?

The recording is me on guitar and lead vocal and Patrick adding everything else. We recorded this in his spare bedroom in Nashville, TN in 2008. I really think Patrick nailed the vibe of the song, by adding sprightly piano and some wonderful backing vocals.


My Loneliest Year
By Noble Three
Words and Music by Tres Crow

I had a lover
or so I thought.
Our love was like
a marble pillar for the Gods,
but just when it seemed that
I needed her the most
she left me on a whim
in my loneliest year.

I had some good friends
or so I thought.
Friendships to rival the Argonauts,
but just when it seemed that
I needed them the most
they left me for some daydreams
in my loneliest year.

So I laid myself upon the bank
and watched the clouds reflected there
when my eyes were caught by something fair.

I had a heartbreak
or so I thought.
Loneliness consumed me
I never thought it'd stop.
But just when it seemed that
my troubles had no end
I saw you by the river
in my loveliest year.

And just when it seemed that
my troubles had no end
I saw you by the river
in my loveliest year.

My loveliest year.

Lyrics printed by permission of Shire Reckoning Publishing House (ASCAP)

4 comments:

Ben U. said...

Great song Tres. When did you write this one?

The Crow said...

I wrote it when I first moved to Nashville, about 4 years ago. That much was probably obvious from the sad sack lyrics, but I was always pretty proud of the simpliciy of it. How Patrick and I recorded this song is I did the vocal and guitar track and then he added the synth, lead guitar, piano, and backing at another time. When I got this gem in my e-mail box I was pleasantly surprised to see how gorgeous he'd managed to make what had been essentially an acoustic demo at first.

Kb_Mal said...

Also awesome.

The Crow said...

Thanks Kb.