Recent Posts

Monday, July 5, 2010

Our Love

I realized recently that the last time I posted some of my songs I sort of just threw them up here without any context as to why they should be important or anything like that. So, in order to rectify that situation, here's a re-post of the lyrics and mp3 of one of my songs, which I recorded with my misnomered duo, Noble Three (with Patrick Rickelton of prattle on, rick. and now Nuelore).

Here the sitch with the song:

Circa 2005 I moved from Michigan to Nashville in the ultimately vain attempt to become a rock and roll star. During my first few months there I worked at a Panera Bread part-time and lived in my sister's extra bedroom and was generally pathetically lonely and out of my reckoning to a degree which I hope to never be again in my life. But something strange happened during those first months: my loneliness and isolation converged with an unprecedented leap forward in my songwriting abilities, and then, when mixed with the unhealthy amount of free time I had on my hands, I managed to write about a million songs in a very short amount of time. Most of them I count as some of the best I ever created in my life, and so, in the end I would say that enormously lonely time was pretty much worth it. After all, all I really remember from it now was writing all those songs. Funny the way memory works, eh?

However, due to my black mood, most of the music deals with heartbreak, sadness, and, more specifically, death. The following song, "Our Love," is probably one of the best examples of one of these "death" songs. It was inspired by an old daguerreotype I found in a magazine (which I desperately wish I could attach to this post because I think it is one of the most evocative images I've ever seen, but which the losing, or rather giving away, of is something I wish to not really go into right now), which shows a Victorian-era woman looking forlornly at a gravestone placed under a tall tree. Something about the look on the woman's face told me that she cared very much for the person whose remains lay at her feet and immediately I was transported. So, this song is dedicated to her, and the love she lost so long ago.

Sidenote: The vocalist is one Hannah Westphall (who also happens to be an amazing photographer...as you will see if you go to her website) who was perfect for the part. I knew I wanted a girl to sing this (since it is, after-all, told from the female perspective) and when I heard that female voice in my head, I basically was hearing Hannah's. She nailed it. Go to her website and praise her.


Our Love
By Noble Three
Words and Music by Tres Crow
Produced by Noble Three and Josh Fuson
Vocals by Hannah Westphall

Family's gathered
'round our tree
and the preacher says a prayer

And the hole they've dug
is as black
as the dress I wore today

And the memories
haunting all my dreams
are the ones that'll never be
'cause they took you away
and buried you today
and all returns to dust

...even our love.

The wedding vows
I wrote on a slip
of paper in my room
are nothing more
than empty promises
that'll never be fulfilled.

And the memories
haunting all my dreams
are the ones that'll never be
'cause they took you away
and buried you today
and all returns to dust

...even our love.

Lyrics printed by permission of Shire Reckoning Publishing House (ASCAP)

2 comments:

Vince Neilstein said...

Tres, I'd forgotten about this song. Such a good one! Thanks for sharing the motivations behind it.

Tres Crow said...

Hey thanks a lot, Vince. This is one of the few songs of mine I still listen to occasionally...other than the old Oblivion records, of course. :-) Maybe it's because I'm not singing it?